- Porcelain can break and mildew.
- Wood can dry,crack and mildew.
- Cloth can rot, discolor, decompose and when exposed to sunlight can fade.
- Paper can turn to pulp when wet.
- Wax can melt.
- Rubber can disintegrate.
- Compositions decompose.
- Polymer clay can shatter and when exposed to ultraviolet light can decompose.
The durability of a doll depends on how it is treated. Most damage or deterioration is likely caused by hard handling or storage where the doll is subject to extreme temperature or humidity variations. A doll is more likely to be soiled by dirty hands, falling and breaking or being chewed by the family pet than it is likely to fall apart because the material was not permanent.